Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Cauliflower Squash and Corn Soup


So I'm smiling in the above photo but today, my heart is very heavy. So I posted a seemingly happy photo of me to try and make up how I am feeling today. Pretty darn wasted, exhausted and weary. BUT, yesterday, I did make up a nice pot of soup. I thought I would experiment. How hard can it be to make up basic soup?

So I was going through vegies that I like or would like to like. Cauliflower came to mind as an alternative to broccoli which I just tolerate. Cauliflower absorbs flavours so easily and it has plenty of fiber and nutrients. So then I thought...hmmm....how about adding some squash. And corn? I thought about a lot of other vegies but I settled for this combination.

Here's what I did:

Saute in truffle oil and EVO, one large onion and 5 or so cloves of garlic until the onion is translucent. Then add one cauliflower head all cut up into pieces. I added a little bit more EVO and stirred them all up. Then I added about 1 1/2 cups diced butternut squash and fresh kernels from 3 ears of corn.



After stirring all to combine, I poured 4 cups of organic salt-free, fat-free chicken broth and let them all cook until tender. Then I slowly used my vitamix to puree everything to a fine soup.


I added a bit of curry, sea salt, crushed peppers and a wee bit of fish sauce. After stirring, I pour in a cup of heavy whipping cream and adjusted the seasonings. Then, Mr. Dexter arrived.


I also made a small batch of jam. How hard can that be? I just bought a couple of pints of strawberries, 5 fragrant kiwis and luckily, my friend Lisa Meeks gave me some lemons from her tree. I macerated the fruit, added the juice of 2 small lemons and dumped some sugar into it. Oh...maybe 4 cups. Then I just let it boil until it looked good. It was amazingly yummy with the whole wheat rolls that I got from Shirley's Bakeshop in Provo.


I did set the table using my vintage glass plates and shabby chic tablecloth. I worked most of the day running to the grocery, chopping, prepping, cooking.....It was fun to have the little wee ones. Table talk was, however,  the most exhausting part of the day. Too much baggage being thrown around. That just sucked the joy out of me. And I hated it. The residue from that is still on me and I can't shake anything off of me. So I am trying to think happy thoughts while I contemplate which pill I am going to take to help me sleep tonight.

No comments: