Monday, June 01, 2009



Introducing...Jack Jabez Faux!

When I look at my grandson Jack, I see no trace of his Filipino roots. I didn't think that what I wrote about years ago would actually happen--that I would have a grandchild with blue eyes, blonde hair and very, very light skin. Someday, he will tell his friends that his grandmother is Asian and people will tilt their heads askance at the notion. I will be a drop in the bucket. A forethought. An anomaly. Perhaps even a nice ice-breaker.

But I am me!

Now more than ever, I need to write my memories, my story, my past and recreate a world that my children and children's children must have. I know that they will not care about an old ancestor nor care to read about her whilst they grow up and experience life while in their youth. But one day, when they are ready and their roots begin to tug at them, they will want to know. And there better be something for them to read.

I was lying down next to Jack as his eyes began to flutter and Sleep's influence began to steal his guard. Finally, his eyes closed, his breathing became angel's whispers and he lay there peaceful and beautiful. My eyes began to tear up overwhelmed with love for him.

There will be more grandchildren and I will love them until it aches. And though what's part of me will no longer be obvious in their appearance, I know that in their blood will still course an exuberance that comes from my spirit forged in the pride of being uniquely...Asian.


2 comments:

Ro Ro Riot said...

When I was younger I wasn't too eager to read the histories of my ancestors, but I loved hearing my parents/grandparents tell me those stories that they had read or been told themselves. A lot of those stories really shaped me, I think. Please do record stories of your life so we can know them and help share them with our children and grandchildren.

Catherine Faux said...

I love the video of Jack! He got a haircut today btw. He looks very smart. I would love to hear about you as well. I love reading books and am completely fascinated with memoirs. Leland was also telling me your mom had to hide out in the woods during WWII. Crazy!