Saturday, May 05, 2007


I AM AN ELITIST

Once again, I am writing about things that may, on first blush, prove how cloudy and arrogant my thinking may be. But I am going to articulate these thoughts anyway lest I forever store them in my brain in the file/bin marked "ridiculous". I may still do that but for right now, what I am thinking makes perfect sense to me.

I am an elitist. And I don't feel bad about it.

Yes, I do believe that there are levels of people in every sense be it social, political, moral, financial, spiritual, cultural or whatever other classification there is. There has to be. I mean, even religious beliefs allude to those who will "make it to heaven" and those who are in the "burn in hell" category. Perhaps even heaven and hell have levels of goodness and evil. I mean, come on, Hitler is just not in the same category as the fulano who stole my guitar.

Having said that, I think that we should treat each other, no matter what category we may place ourselves or others, as God has commanded us---equally and fairly. Now that I've said that, I am also going to state that empirically, people are not created equal. Or perhaps, more accurately, each person is given different gifts and/or varying degrees of capabilities, understanding and talents.

Elitism demands that only a select number of people whose views, skills, actions and status are to be taken the most seriously and carry the most weight. There are those who are gifted with extraordinary skills, abilities, wisdom and clarity. They are the ones who see higher than others, see things more clearly and can invoke change for the better. Not everybody can do this. And therefore, there definitely is a group of elite people, unmarked as they are, who are supposed to help make the world a better place.

The obvious question that comes to my mind is this: how do I know who they are and how do I know if I am part of that group? And if I am not a card-carrying member of this elite force, where can I sign up or at least find out what the membership requirements are? Obviously, I want to be a member. Obviously. And rightfully so.

I have begun to open my eyes and I can see above me. I look at people who are making a difference---those who have not only reached success in their careers but also those who seem to inspire confidence. Here are three of my observations:

First of all, they are obviously elite. By that, I mean that they look the part. They care about their appearance and care about how they are perceived. But there is a delicate balance here. The difference between them and the stereotypical pleaser-type who simply wants to be popular is that they don't define themselves by the perception they want to put out there. They only care about the first impression and after that, their motivations are purely ensconced in their work, their dreams or their goals. The mediocre/losers care only about their appearance, what others think of them and are governed either by the need to please others or the need to look good.

Secondly, they are the ones who seem to have everything. As a result of their work and dogged determination, the only end result of their work is inevitably, success. They seek out the best in everything. Yes, everything. And that includes whatever they deem appropriate to place in their homes, garages or bodies. They create environments that are uplifting and inspiring. And if that means that they have to live in the most exclusive parts of town, so be it. And they make no excuses for this because they understand and appreciate that they need to create environments that can exponentially affect the output of their efforts.

Third, they are not afraid to surround themselves with people who have talents and skills that surpass their own. They seek uplifting people who can pull them up, inspire them and enrich their lives. This is a seeming paradox. Some people actually seek out being with others who are comfortable and within their own sphere and/or those who are below their capabilities. This is because of two reasons: one is because they feel superior being on the top of the pecking order and second, they are afraid to make changes in their lives because it's "too hard", they're too comfortable or simply afraid. Then there are those who actually feel guilty about enlarging their circumstances because they resist the "temptation" to seek "wealth and privilege" because they assume that in suffering as God has suffered, they can achieve some sort of Nirvana. Hogwash. And not to mention bullcrap. But that's another subject that I've already tackled and you can click here if you'd like to read it. All they really do is make themselves more miserable and bitter. But there is a brightness and easy rapport with people who seek out the best company. The elite wants to seek out more of them and more importantly, recognize them. I definitely would rather be in their midst.

With these careful observations, I can figure out how to live my life. It's a mindset. Elitism is a mindset. But being a part of it means actually doing something about it. As much as it makes perfect sense that everyone should be aspiring to be part of the elite, the majority of people won't do it or don't have the chops to do it. Resistance is simply too keen, too strong. Which begs one to ask why. I don't know. But I would venture to say that it's one of four things: fear, lack of imagination, lack of vision and quite simply, ignorance. I think that religion or rather, the interpretation of moral tenets impact the desire to excel and think outside our boxes. I think that education--continuous, meaningful and unquenchable need for education---is the key to unlocking the doors that prevent us from soaring beyond what we imagine we can deserve or are entitled to.

True elitism I think is that quality in us that inexplicably gives us the feeling that we have special privileges and responsibilities to aid in the betterment of man. Education enleashes that quality. Imagination gives one the map to explore. Gratitude and humility are the lenses that clarify our vision, enabling us to recognize those who are supposed to enrich, enhance and enlarge our lives so we can make a difference in others.

I am an elitist. Always have been. Always will be. I renounce everything and anyone that will pull me down. Time is so limited and indeed, life is too short.











No comments: