Thursday, November 23, 2006

Potatoes And Yam Casserole



I tried something new this year with my smashed potatoes. First off, I saw some novelty potatoes: purple, red and white ones. I bought an assortment, scrubbed and boiled them. (Keep skins on.) Then mashed them to death. In a separate bowl, pour about 2 cups buttermilk that has been scalded with about 3 tablespoons of Knorr's Alfredo sauce stirred in. I then poured this concoction into the potatoes as we mashed. Add some unsalted butter and then salt and pepper to taste. YUM. Creamy with a kick!



This year, I decided to finally try cornbread stuffing. I went to our local Whole Foods Market where they have very good cornbread. I bought 1.5 pounds of corn bread precut into squares that I gently placed in a bowl. I added one can of water chestnuts, chopped and 2 cups of grated Monterey Jack cheese. I made sure I folded these dry ingredient into the cornbread so as not to smash the squares. Then in another bowl, I mixed 2 eggs, 2 cups free range chicken stock, and 4 tablespoons Italian herbs. Again, I folded the liquid into the cornbread mixture and poured everything into a casserole dish that I painted with extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Voila! It was a hit.

No comments: