Thursday, January 12, 2012

Being Old Is Better Than You Think

Jan 12, 2012--- 56 years old

I feel that I've reached an age that's perfect in every way. I know I am closer to 60 but I still feel firmly planted on family, children, work and many other projects that I feel I've always wanted to accomplish. I still feel like some of my dreams and hopes can be fulfilled. I still feel strong and healthy. On the other hand, I am equally aware that the balance of my earthly life is way past the half-way mark and that every day is now a gift. I am aware that with my genetic disadvantages starting with hypertension & diabetes (syndrome X) and type-A personality that seems to thrive on stress and worry-- all enemies of syndrome X-- my lifespan is compromised and I am like a ticking bomb just waiting for that perfect storm that can either have me debilitated or end my life. So while I feel vibrant and positive, I am also sobered by a sense of foreboding mortality and the inevitable. And it feels good to be still able to look forward to many great accomplishments and lessons. And it feels great to be able to have an even longer dossier of experiences and journeys that empowers me to face challenges.

I don't know how long this great balance is going to last but I am grateful for every, single day. I am also mindful that my completion is my best friend and husband and waking up together every single day is the greatest blessing of all. I am also aware that one day, one of us will lose the other in this earthly life. It is an inevitable event---unless we get the blessing of going together.

So it is a blessed time for me to prepare and make sure that everything is in order. Preparation allows me the luxury of comfort and gives me all the excuse to go forward with life.

I don't know how I am going to bequeath to my children all the benefit of my experiences. But I hope that they also understand that their parents will not always be there and that they need to have the zeal to find out for themselves who their parents really are and seek advise and counsel.

The road of life is not at all different for everyone. The roles, characters, stage or environment will all be different. But the principles that will allow success are all the same. And the pitfalls that paralyze us or the deceptions that divert us from our potential are all the same. Truth and light are universal. And as I age, all the familiar tricks and pitfalls become more visible. They become like the dangerous friends we used to keep in our young rebellious days--we recognize them and from our lessons past, avoid them. And when we see their faces in our children's eyes, we get in battle mode and try our very best to save them from unnecessary harm and detours. We warn, we guide, we become vigilant. And as we journey on and our influence is no longer wanted because of our age, we try to find joy in knowing what we know as we watch the young make the same unnecessary mistakes that we no longer have the energy to warn them about. Instead, I hope that I will just continue playing cards or hopefully, writing about love, life and my labours.

No comments: