Monday, May 21, 2007



FEELING NOSTALGIC

I was looking for a song or poem written in Tagalog that expresses what a mother feels for her children and I couldn't find one. I thought perhaps that I would find success in the form of a lullaby but then, there was none that I could unearth anywhere that sufficiently expressed what I was feeling. So, arrogantly, I decided to write one myself. I hadn't written or spoken elegant Tagalog in years so I thought I would be daunted. But I discovered that the words flowed so naturally when I began to think about how I felt about my children. I don't think I can duplicate that moment anytime soon so this may be my only attempt at Tagalog formal prose...but hopefully, not.

Meme na anak, bunso kong mahal
Sa duyan ng puso ko, larawan mo'y nakadungaw
Tulog na, anak, langkit ko at araw
Bituin ng buhay ko sa aking kandungan

Di mo ba alam ang lawak ng kaligayahan
Na inihandog ng Bahala pagka't ikaw ay akin?
Kaunting ngiti lamang o yapos na mahigpit
Likas na kayamanan ng aking pinaginip.

Meme na anak, pikit na at matulog
Habang mahinahon ang mundong gumugulong
Tulog na anak, sandaling malambing
Kasama mo si nanay sa bawa't himbing
Meme na anak, matamis kong himala
Tulog na bunso ko, mahal kong alaga.

Copyrighted. All rights reserved. FauxPerspective,Inc., May 21, 2007



No comments: