Sunday, April 08, 2007

Missing NYC Already



We arrived home last night after a spending our last morning in New York City. The weather was cold but absolutely beautiful. I purposely walked the busy streets trying to stop time...or at least slowing it down to take in every detail that I could absorb. I love the rhythm of the city, the sounds, the smells---everything about it. We did catch a Broadway play every night although one night, I did give in to watching "The Producers". I realized, after sitting through this musical that I really didn't want to be entertained as often as I hunger for being intrigued and stimulated intellectually. And that's why I enjoy watching a well-written and well-produced play instead. The three plays we saw certainly accomplished all that---Prelude to a Kiss, Talk Radio and Journey's End. I do have to admit that some scenes and actors were not at the top of the game but most of the cast members made up for their lack. Liev Schreiber is as electrifying as ever. We had seen him in Harold Pinter's "Betrayal" which won the Tony for Best Play Revival, won Juliet Binoche a Tony for best actress and a nomination for Liev for best actor. In "Talk Radio", Liev was brutally good. I would be surprised if he doesn't nab the Tony this year. The play was written by the controversial Eric Bogosian. I came away thinking a lot while walking back to our wonderfully luxurious one-bedroom condo at the Hilton Club located on two floors of the Hilton Towers on Avenue of the Americas.

I do think that purchasing membership to the exclusive Hilton Club has been worth it. The service is fantastic and the accommodations are wonderful. We especially enjoyed the Hilton Club reception hall on the 37th floor----there's always food and drink available! And the location is just superb. The Museum of Modern Art is across the street. We are a block from 5th Avenue. Broadway is three blocks away. Rockefeller Plaza, NBC and FoxNews Studios are minutes away by foot. And walking to Central Park is just a quick jaunt. We had lunch at the famous Tavern-on-the-Green on Central Park since we wanted Hannah to experience that. It was certainly lovely and we got seated in my favorite room---the garden room---with its amazing pastel colored ceilings, grand crystal chandeliers hanging all over, luscious fresh flowers and amazing garden scenes outside the glass walls. I wouldn't call the food fantastic but the experience was wonderful. For a grand lunch, we went to Oscar's located on the ground floor of the Waldorf-Astoria. Now THAT was superb. At a mere $27 per person, their lunch buffet is the best bargain in Midtown Manhattan, in my opinion. And the service is attentive.

But for the best street food, hands down we vote for the Hallal food cart located on the 53rd street side of Hilton. Queues are long and winding but at $5 a plate you get a warm plateful of lamb or chicken, pilaf, fresh lettuce with your choice of red sauce (spicy) or white sauce (tzazikki). Marvelous! And more than enough for two meals. The food is so good that this street vendor has been featured on the NYTimes, David Letterman, FoxNews, Good Morning America and Today shows. Of course, you can't beat the honey roasted nuts being sold for $2 a bag in every street corner. That's a staple.

It's now Easter Sunday here in Nevada and I'm already feeling blue. I'm back in my environment where small minds abound and pettiness reigns supreme.

Well, back to binge-ing.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket







No comments: