Monday, December 04, 2006

Lucky Lucky Stars!



Last Saturday, while browsing around in Chinatown, Hannah and I saw a jarful of tiny, little paper stars. "Lucky stars", they were called. We were so intrigued. So we asked the attendant where we can get a book with instructions on how to make those stars. She walked us to a corner in the store where she showed us a package full of paper strips. Then she offered to show us how to make the stars. We left the store with 4 packages of those paper strips---so excited to start folding like crazy.

We got hooked



It's an interesting phenomenon actually. I had no desire to get addicted to this. And the stars don't really have any deep meaning for me. But I found that every star I made was different and the quest to make a perfect star became a strong driving force that I kept on forging on...obsessed with the desire to make perfect five points, perfect corners. "Ah yes---next time, I'll make the corners more sharp." Or, "next time, I'll crease the folds." etc. In due time, we had quite a collection of tiny, little paper stars. I'd love to write about profound implications and metaphoric lessons from this experience. But I won't. I think it's just too plain obvious.

I just like to make paper stars.


No comments: